IPL LASER HAIR REMOVAL
We’ve been waiting for this development for years! Virtually pain free permanent hair reduction is here! A cooling tip replaces messy ultrasound gel. A large spot size decreases appointment times as we can treat a larger area with each pulse.
For those of you who have been long term wax clients at Be Fabulous, you may be wondering, what is the upside to abandoning my wax routine. Here are just a few advantages and benefits of IPL Laser:
- Shaving is ok between treatments, no need to endure the 4 weeks of regrowth;
- Treatments are much more comfortable than waxing;
- Less than a 1-year commitment and you’re done, waxing is a monthly, never-ending routine;
- Cost savings over time.
Be confident, be smooth, be ready for anything…be fabulous! Schedule a consultation with one of our hair removal specialists today.
OUR APPROACH TO HAIR REMOVAL
We want all of our hair removal procedures to be as safe and effective as possible. All Be Fabulous hair removal technicians are trained and certified directly by the equipment manufacturer, SharpLight Technologies. Our technicians also have at least 10 years as certified estheticians or a degree in nursing…so rest assured, you’re in good hands!
While most people have excellent results and are thrilled to be hair free, there are those who just aren’t great candidates for this treatment, which means results may be minimal. We won’t let anyone leave unhappy, therefore before taking any payment or starting treatments, all potential clients must schedule a comprehensive consultation, which will be followed by a patch test to determine how effective your results will be. The average person can expect to see a 75-95% reduction in hair growth over 5-8 treatments.
With each treatment, you will notice the amount of hair reduced, the darkness of the hair lightened, and the coarseness of the hair soften, until one day, you won’t notice it at all!
For the best results, the successful client must follow 3 basic rules:
- Avoid sun exposure on the treatment area for 2-3 weeks prior to your appointment (4-6 on darker skin tones).
- Maintain a treatment schedule of every 6-8 weeks (4-6 for the face).
- Advise your technician of any changes in your health, changes in medication since your last appointment, exposure to sun, or skin products used.
To break even one of these rules without advising us in advance can hinder your treatment progress, and possibly cause harm, so keep us informed!
Are IPL laser treatments safe?
All pulsed- light treatments are non-invasive and safe, with minimum side effects
The SharpLight Formax advanced technology employs unique Dynamic Pulse Control (DPC), Thermo- electric skin cooling, precise optical filtering and a unique energy pulsing assure high treatment efficacy while maximizing safety and control.
How does it work?
Pulsed light to used to target, break down and destroy the melanin (dark pigment) in hair. Pulses of intense light are emitted into the hair follicles, the dark pigment in the hair follicles absorbs the intense pulsed light and converts it into heat which destroys the hair follicle’s ability to grow new hair.
Is it painful?
While pain tolerance is subjective, many patients often describe the sensation as fingers tapping against the skin.
Are there any side effects?
While complications are very rare, it is very important that, in the event that any of the following develops, the client must contact the technician immediately.
- Redness and swelling
- Bruising, blistering and crusting
- Chance of developing hyper or hypo pigmentation
Can treatments be done on any skin colour or hair colour?
Generally speaking, on the ideal candidate, hair and skin are well contrasted (lighter skin with darker, coarse hair. However, the SharpLight system can treat several skin types.
We determine the skin type of an individual using The Fitzpatrick Scale, which is based on reaction to sun, eye color, hair color, and ethnic background.
- Type I – Light, pale white; always burns; never tans.
- Type II – White, fair; usually burns; tans with difficulty.
- Type III – Medium white to olive; sometimes burns, gradually tans to olive.
- Type IV– Olive, moderate brown; rarely burns; tans with ease.
- Type V– Brown, dark brown; very rarely burns; tans very easily.
- Type VI – Black, very dark brown to black; does not burn.
The following is a list of individuals who tended to be unsuccessful (defined as continued hair growth in the area being treated despite 1 year of treatments).
- Black skin (Fitzpatrick Type VI). There is not enough contrast between hair and skin on darker tones;
- Individuals with really dense hair (think Mediteranean/Indian decent);
- Extremely light or fair skinned clients (to prevent burning, settings must not be too high, which slows or prevents treatment results);
- People with a untreated medical condition that makes hair grow excessively (hirsutism or PCOS);
- Hair that lacks pigment, such as very light coloured hair or hair that is grey or white.
How many treatments will I need?
Multiple treatments are necessary. Your unique hair growth cycle will help determine the number of treatments you will need. The average client can expect to need 5-8 treatments. For IPL laser hair removal treatments to be effective, the hair must be treated while they are in the actively growing phase, called Anagen (see chart below). At any given time, approximately 20% of an individual’s hairs are in this state. This means you can expect a 20% reduction of hair after each treatment. During the catagen and telogen phases of the hair growth cycle, hair follicles have been disconnected from the dermal papilla—the real root point of new hair growth. It’s essential that we treat unwanted hair that is attached to the dermal papilla to really create long-lasting hair removal.
Staying on track and being dedicated to the process and treatment plan will get you to your goal of permanent hair removal quicker.
When will I see results?
You should see some results after your first treatment. However, because your hair grows in cycles, 5-8 sessions are usually required to achieve full results. The hair that does grow back after your treatment should be thinner and lighter in color, and with multiple laser hair removal treatments, you should see a significant and permanent reduction in hair growth in the areas treated.
Are Results Guaranteed?
Individual results vary as hair type and growth varies from person to person. IPL laser hair removal works better on some people than others. The treatment targets active hair follicles. Everyone has a number of dormant hair follicles that may be triggered into growth phase due to stress, pregnancy hormones, menopause, or medications. Some people notice regrowth after several months or years, while others find they never have to shave again. The average experience is 75-95 percent reduction in hair growth if you do a full 5-8 course treatment. For this reason, we can not make any guarantees. In fact, no hair removal business or IPL laser manufacturer can guarantee results.
It’s worth mentioning that like most technology, IPL lasers have come a long way over machines used a few years.
Will my hair ever grow back?
The short answer is no. Once the hair follicle is damaged, it cannot grow new hair. However, there are invariably a few hair follicles that manage to partially escape the laser during each treatment. Some of these follicles may be only stunned and will need to be retreated.
Can it get rid of ingrown hairs?
Getting rid of ingrown hair after waxing is difficult. IPL laser is the only treatment that can permanently solve this problem. Every growing hair has an oil gland attached to it which releases sebum (oil) to lubricate the hair as it pushes through the skin. When a hair is trapped underneath the skin as an ingrown, it keeps growing and the sebum keeps being released. This causes the ingrown to get larger and, sometimes, infected. Laser stops the regrowth, therefore stopping sebum production and treating the area. Following your treatment, the hair will stop growing, break up, and dissipate into the blood stream, which is why it is such an effective ingrown treatment.
How can I remove hair between treatments?
Shave. Shaving is the only method of hair removal recommended between treatments as it does not damage to the hair root. Since the hair and root must be intact for the treatments to work, any method that removes the hair from the root (waxing, tweezing, etc) may negatively impact your treatment progress.
How much will it cost?
Treatment costs vary by individual, based on the recommended number of treatments and the area being treated. You may pay as you go, or purchase a series of treatments. Please schedule a consultation at our office and ask for a quotation. Compared with a lifetime of shaving, waxing or plucking, IPL laser can be a worthwhile investment in both time and money-savings.
How do I prepare for my treatments?
For best results, it’s important to come prepared.
- The treatment area needs to be shaved to skin level the morning of your appointment.
- You must avoid waxing, plucking, threading or electrolyses of the hair for 4-6 weeks prior to treatment. Avoid the sun exposure or use of tanning beds for 2-3 weeks (4-6 weeks for darker skin) prior to treatment. If you use a self tanner, discontinue 1 week prior to treatment. The lighter skin allows more energy to be delivered to the target. Discontinue Accutane 6 months prior to treatment
- Discontinue use of Retinoic Acid products 2 weeks prior to treatment
- Report all skin diseases, viruses, infections, cold sores, eczema or allergies to technician.
- Do not exfoliate, use glycolic acid, benzyl peroxide or any other skin irritants 1 week prior to treatment.
- Avoid Microdermabrasion or peels for 2 weeks, prior to treatment.
- If the skin is red, irritated or sunburned, the IPL treatment must be rescheduled
- Report all medication taken within 2 weeks of the treatment.
- Avoid depilating for at least 6 weeks prior to your first treatment. Do not depilate with waxing, sugaring, plucking, threading or hair removal creams before and/or between IPL treatments. Shaving is permitted and recommended.
- Discontinue using bleaching creams for 2 weeks prior to treatment and perfumed products (eg. Aromatherapy oils) for 48 hours before treatment.
- Do not use sun blocking creams or antiperspirants within 12 hours of scheduled treatments.
- Avoid swimming in strong chlorinated water immediately before and IPL session.
How do I care for my skin after treatments?
Aftercare instructions for IPL laser treatments are similar to those for waxing.
- Avoid bathing or washing with very hot water, including the use of saunas or hottubs. Use tepid water. Wash gently. Keep the area clean.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours following treatment.
- Avoid swimming in strong chlorinated water immediately after and IPL session.
- Do not shave the treated area for at least 4 days after treatment.
- Avoid any irritating medications or chemicals. Examples of these are Retin-A, Benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid or astringents.
- Avoid direct sunlight, tanning beds or self tanners for at least 2 weeks after a treatment. Apply Sun Protective Cream of SPF 50+, 15 minutes prior to sun exposure, and 15 minutes afterwards. Keep reapplying as needed throughout the day. Failure to protect your skin from the sun may result in the development of hyper or hypo-pigmentation marks.
- The treated area may become pink, red, inflamed, or even blistered within 30 minutes and in rare instances last several hours to several days. Regular application of ice, cooling gels, Hydrocortisone or Neosporin is important for relief.
- Do not wax, pluck, thread or use depilatories for the hair that grows back.
- After laser treatment, hair may continue to grow out as if it were never treated. Typically this will occur for about 2-3 weeks and then those treated hair will simply begin to fall out.
Generally it is best to wait 6-8 weeks (4-6 weeks for the face) between treatments. There is no advantage to scheduling your visits closer together even if you do not see immediate results. The laser only targets hair in the growth phase. The next growth phase is generally in 4-6 weeks.