PHOTO SKIN REJUVENATION…BECAUSE SKIN IS IN!
The natural aging process takes its toll on your skin over time – in a series of quick 30-40 minute treatments we can remove unwanted skin problems on your Face, Neck, Chest and Hands by smoothing, brightening and evening out your skin tone allowing you to wear less make-up and feel more confident in your skin!
IPL photorejuvenation (aka…fotofacial or photofacial) transforms your skin with Intense Pulsed Light – a non-invasive procedure using pulses of light that can reduce the visible signs of sun damage and aging – a good choice if you have a number of different goals:
- plumper, younger-looking skin
- faded age spots and sun damage
- irregular, mottled pigment
- fewer broken capillaries
- reduce overall redness, rosacea
- minimize large pores
- reduce fine lines
You can return to work the same day and resume most of your regular activities!
HOW IT WORKS
Depending on the issue being treated, the Photorejuvenation device produces an intense light from a range of wavelengths to: break up pigmented brown spots causing them to rise to the surface and flake off; coagulate and remove blood vessels below the skin surface; stimulate new production of collagen from fibroblast cells for improvement in fine lines and skin tone.
The light is absorbed by the targeted tissue producing heat and destroying the problem tissue. By targeting deeper layers of the dermis and “tricking” the skin into thinking it has suffered a minor injury, it jumpstarts the body’s natural skin repair process which breaks down and eliminates the damaged tissue. Another byproduct of this repair process is the regrowth of collagen. Collagen plays an important role in keeping skin smooth and supple, diminishing the appearance of fine lines and texture.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT
After your skin is thoroughly cleansed, a cooled wand will be applied to the treatment area in 2 passes. Although it is not as pleasant as a traditional facial, the sensation, which some describe as a cool rubber band snap, is tolerated very well by most. Our device has integrated cooling which enhances clients’ comfort during the procedure. The treatment is concluded with a cold compress, if needed, and an application of aloe vera gel.
The procedures are very effective with minimal downtime, little discomfort and minimal risk – you return to most of your normal daily activities without delay. It is something you could even fit in during your lunch hour!
Most people need 3-5 months, which consists of a full series of 3-6 treatments every 3-4 weeks. You can see some improvement with each treatment, but it’s common for your response to be slightly different to each treatment. The more sun damage or redness you have, the more likely you are to need a full 6 treatments. As your skin begins to clear, the treatments usually become even more comfortable. Treatments usually take 30-90 minutes, depending on the size and number of areas being treated.
Beyond the feeling of tightness you will experience, your face may start to peel in about 24 hours. The key is letting the skin flake off naturally. Peeling it off may result in scabbing or scarring. The redness that is present following the procedure may last for a longer or shorter period of time depending on the skin issue being treated, as well as your skin type – typically a few hours.
- For redness caused by conditions such as broken capillaries and rosacea, the skin will look slightly redder after the treatment for 2-5 days.
- For freckles and age spots, the pigmented areas of the skin will become darker (like coffee grinds) for 3-7 days before they naturally flake off revealing noticeably faded spots.
How long your results last will depend on how much sun exposure your skin gets after your treatments as well as how well you maintain an aftercare program. If you are in the sun a lot and do not use sunscreen, the underlying issues, whether they are redness or brown spots, will return. But if you take good care of your skin and keep it protected from the sun, your skin will continue to look good with annual maintenance treatments.
ARE THERE SIDE EFFECTS
The main side effects are mild, temporary swelling, redness, an accentuation of the brown spots, crusting, and flaking. Less frequently an occasional bruise or small superficial blister (like a sunburn blister) may occur – although most of these issues soon disappear. There are other rare side effects – it is therefore important that we address possible contraindications outlined on your consent form and review any potential issues with you.
PRE & POST TREATMENT
As noted above, after your treatment you will likely experience a rosy glow to your skin. Makeup can be immediately applied, if desired, however it must be removed very gently for the first few days.
For about 7 days following your procedure, you need to be vigilant about avoiding the sun. If you’re heading to the beach the day after your photofacial, reschedule! Do everything you can to avoid getting sun on the treatment area: wear a hat, use an umbrella, lather your skin with sunscreen.
- avoid direct sun exposure (including self tanners) about 2-4 weeks before and 1-2 weeks after
- discontinue photo synthesizing medications and topical cosmetics 1 month prior to and during the duration of your treatments
- avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen or Aleve for 1 week prior
- avoid heat for 48 hours following treatment, including hot showers, saunas and heavy exercise
- do not pick at the skin should it flake or crust post treatment
- use a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher on all treatment areas
- maintain treatment results with prescribed skincare routine; using a good vitamin C serum will help boost collagen while reducing brown spots
IS PHOTO SKIN REJUVENATION RIGHT FOR ME?
It is also important for clients to have a realistic understanding about what the procedure can do. When performed on the right person, it effectively improves skin texture, eliminating discolorations and overall redness, reducing pore size, and minimizes fine lines.
Ideal candidates for IPL facials are people with:
- fair to olive tone skin that has not recently been tanned
- skin that has some elasticity
- a willingness to maintain the required treatment schedule
You may not be the best candidate if:
- you are seeking treatment for deep wrinkles or deep scars
- you want quick or drastic results
- you have a darker skin tone or pigmentation issues related to disease or hormonal imbalance
- you have very sensitive skin that tends towards excessive scarring, bruising, keloid formation or poor healing – specifically related to immune deficiencies
- you have had skin cancer
IPL is not recommended for people who are pregnant or are currently on Accutane
A comprehensive consultation and patch test are done prior to all treatments to assess each persons suitability.
Contact our medical aesthetician for a complimentary consultation.
SKIN REJUVENATION by AREA (pricing based on individual treatments – packages of 5 recommended):
Face & Neck: $179
Spot treatment: $49 (for individual blemishes)